Tuesday, September 4, 2012

{survivor}


While I’ve always preferred to keep our blog very light and much more like a memory book, sometimes the transition’s in this little person’s life are just too much to handle for her and she goes into survival mode.  So I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share our girl’s most recent challenge.  You see, today was Acadia’s first day of preschool. And while we have been really “talking it up,” she was having none of it.  This girl was really digging her heels in. She did not want to go to “pee-school!”  So after getting her dressed this morning and really cheering on her first day of pre-school, this is what I was up against…
 
How sad is that?  Can you see where I am going with this?  Right!  So, one hour of holding, several hugs, a hundred kisses, and a thousand tears later, we parted at the pre-school door.  I stopped by the office for a tissue and some encouragement from the staff, and made it safely to work where I counted down the hours and minutes until I could pick her up.  And when I arrived back at 3pm, she was so happy to see me that she ran and literally jumped into my arms!  Day 1…done, over, checked off the list, completed, and mission accomplished.  So, we came home and promptly posed for this picture…
 
While I realize this isn’t the most optimistic, positive viewpoint for most parents, for some kiddo’s this is just how it is.  Survival.  Not joy, not excitement, not fun.  Just surviving, minute by minute, fearful of the next big change or unknown.  But hopefully, this will be the last transition for her for quite a while.  And hopefully, she will continue to thrive as she has been and maybe someday, she will be excited to be part of something new and different.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Christine, soon Cadie will be looking forward to school. But she'll always be happy to see you when you pick her up.

    ReplyDelete